In my memories, brunch means quiche. I invited a friend over for brunch and thought, I’ll pull out that quick quiche recipe I made many years ago. I recalled one using Bisquick, and a pie that almost magically formed the crust.
In fact, there are numerous versions of this impossible pie recipe, I also recall a rendition that made cheeseburger pie, a quick and inexpensive dinner.
Now, I hadn’t bought a box of Bisquick in likely 15 years, but why not revive an old favorite.
I posted a photo below on Facebook, and surprisingly many friends responded. They wanted me to share the recipe. So here it is:
8 strips of bacon, cooked to a crisp, then drained and crumbled. (You can also use pre-cooked bacon pieces if you want to save a lot of clean-up. Or switch to cut up ham.)
1 cup of grated aged Swiss cheese (or perhaps cheddar)
1 small onion, diced
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground pepper
2 cups of milk
1 cup Bisquick
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Generously grease a 10-inch pie plate
3. Sprinkle the crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, and diced onion (in that order) over the bottom of the pie plate. Add additional vegetables if you desire, like chopped broccoli, zucchini slices, boiled potato- cut in chunks, cherry tomatoes cut in half, whatever!)
4. In a bowl, beat the eggs along with the salt and pepper.
5. Add the milk to the egg mixture and stir.
6. Add the Bisquick and beat until smooth.
7. Pour the Bisquick mixture over the ingredients in the pie plate.
8. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
9. Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
It’s effortless and quick! I’m going to make it again soon.
After I posted on Facebook, my old friend, Cathy Ruff, reminded me of the Impossible Coconut Pie. So here's the official Betty Crocker recipe for that:
Impossible Coconut Pie
1 cup flaked or shredded coconut
3/4 cup sugar
1/cup Original Bisquick™ mix
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 cups milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 9-inch pie plate with shortening or cooking spray.
2 In medium bowl, stir all ingredients until blended. Pour into pie plate.
3 Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until golden brown and knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cover and refrigerate any remaining p