Sunday, June 19, 2011

Strawberry Salad with Goat Cheese

The California Strawberry Commission Recipe E-Book has so many mouth watering recipes, I wish I had my own field. Fortunately, it's strawberry season and the radiant red berries are abundant in grocery stores.

Sensational Strawberry Salad


Inside Strawberry Recipes for Every Day, I found a recipe for 'Macadamia Crusted Halibut with grilled Strawberry and Mint Relish' which looked perfect for a summer meal, but I'm the only one around who eats halibut.  Therefore, I choose a salad. By the way, the book also includes tips for buying, storing and freezing the fruit.

I admit I took a few liberties with the publication's official 'Chinois Strawberry and Goat Cheese Salad', but I think I'll be forgiven. Instead of frying wonton strips I choose to buy a bag of colorful tortilla strips. Frying brings too much clean up!  I also substituted almond slices for the pine nuts because I had them in the freezer. I followed the dressing recipe exactly and it makes a zippy home run. The photo worthy final presentation tasted bold and  flavorful and I would be proud to serve this sensational salad to others.

Here's the recipe:

Dressing
1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 Tbsp garlic, chopped (I used a large clove)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 cup soybean oil
salt and pepper, if desired

Salad Fixings

Spring mix, mescalin or arugula
Stemmed and sliced strawberries
Toasted pine nuts or sliced almonds
Fresh goat cheese, crumbled
Tortilla or fried wonton strips

Preparation:
Make the vinaigrette by blending all the dressing ingredients in a jar and shaking well.
Mix together the salad fixings and drizzle the dressing on top. 


For more information:  www.californiastrawberries.com. The Strawberry Recipes for Every Day cookbook is available from the website for e-readers, as an app, as a download or in print.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Hi Debi,
Sara sent us the link to your post - it's great - thanks! I work for the strawberry commission and I'm a food blogger so wanted to stop by and say I love your blog!
Jodi