Saturday, June 5, 2010

Shrimp & Grits

I've called Florida my home for 14 years but I'm not a G.R.I.T.- meaning  a " girl raised in the South."  Truth be told: I don't even like grits. They feel grainy in my mouth,seriously-- gritty is the right word.

However, while staying at The King and Prince Resort on St. Simons Island in coastal Georgia, I attended an elegant dinner featuring Shrimp and Grits.  I've got to admit, the dish was sinfully luscious and I devoured it. 

Chef Robyn Gomez prepared the recipe in front of the guests and he changed my mind. Grits are worthy of royalty- at The King and Prince.


King and Prince Shrimp and Grits
Serves 6 to 8 people

Burgundy Gravy
2 ounces water
1 pound shrimp - 26-30 count
3/4 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup julienned green pepper
1/2 cup julienned onion
8 beef bouillon cubes
1 quart water
Dash of salt
Dash of cayenne pepper
4 ounces Burgundy wine

Sauté onion, mushrooms, and peppers in butter.  Add wine and bring to boil.  Add salt and cayenne pepper, reduce heat.  Add shrimp and simmer for 5 minutes.  Add beef bouillon cubes and mix well, add water, and bring to boil.  Thicken with a 1/2 cornstarch and 1/2 water mixture.

Cheese Grits
2 cups stone ground grits
1 quart chicken stock
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups half and half
1 1/2 cups Monterrey Jack cheese
1/4 cup water

Bring chicken stock and cream to boil.  Add grits, cook for 5 minutes. After grits cook, add the 1/4 cup of water.  Add cheese, reduce hear, and simmer for 5 minutes.  Add butter, stir well and cook for 10 minutes. 

No comments: